Monday, September 21, 2009

Corporate Burnout

There is a scene in ‘Requiem for a Dream’ where director Darren Aronofsky uses a montage where multiple things are happening concurrently with different characters in the movie. The way that montage has been edited gives us a feeling of a machine working.

After having worked as a Database Administrator for two years, I often find myself identifying to that scene. My education and work happened in a very similar way depicted in that montage. I finished my Bachelor of Engineering, worked for a year, followed that with pursuing a Masters in Engineering and worked again for another year. Although it was solely my decision to study Engineering and work, and while I did fairly well in both, there was a sense of frustration building up in me all along. There came in a point when work just did not seem creative or interesting enough!

I have been fascinated about cinema since my childhood. As I grew up, I also started understanding and appreciating the different technical aspects of it rather than the mere gloss and glory. Editing to me is the most creative technical aspect of film-making. Depending on how you edit a film, the entire perception towards it can change.

When I was working in Bangalore and every time I went home, I used to assist a family friend who is a documentary film-maker. I tried to learn about shot selection, camera angles, what to use as a subject, how to edit and the like. I however learnt much more while having discussions with him about the movie. When I said this camera angle suits better, he would defend himself and that two-way dialogue used to be fascinating. His explanation about why he wanted to compose a particular shot as per his vision and not mine, educated me a lot more than just handling the camera would have perhaps.

Later when I was working in Dallas, I joined an independent film club where they would watch Indie films every weekend and discuss them. Hearing so many points of view of various people from different walks of life, all gathered together just for their love of cinema, triggered my longing to learn editing even further.

So here I am a corporate burnout, currently without a job, waiting to join a film institute to learn editing, not sure what the future holds, with nothing but pride and satisfaction that atleast I am going to do what I always wanted.

1 comment:

Anantha Krishna said...

Well, u atleast completed your studies. I am in Engg presently and frankly i dont understand the whole point of this. (though it was my own decision). I am waiting to get out of this to do wat i love the most. Films.

@numbminded