Friday, December 25, 2009

Top 10 under-rated Hindi films of the decade

After writing the 10 most under-rated English movies of the decade, it was quite obvious for me to write an article about the under-rated Hindi movies. More so since I felt it will be much easier to write. How wrong I was! Everytime I finished my list, another movie came in my mind out of nowhere and I had to insert it to the list. At a time I had some 35 movies and boy it was confusing. So after two days of pulling my hair out, the list below was formed. Just hope I didn't miss any serious contender.

All the films mentioned are selected on the basis that they did poorly at the Box Office.

Chronologically:

1. Haasil (2003)


Reasons:

Irrfan Khan alone makes this movie a must watch. What a performance!
A completely different landscape compared to regular Hindi films. Allahabad has not been used much as a Hindi cinema backdrop. Also the college politics in UP is not shown much on Hindi cinema. A very novel idea.
A talent called Tigmanshu Dhulia. What a debut for him! Such assured scripting and direction.
Although there isn’t much scope of music, still ‘Aankhen Bhi Hoti Hain Dil Ki Zuban’ is an awesome track.
The poignant moments captured between Tinnu Anand and Jimmy Shergill. Natural to the core.
Lastly, but most importantly, the hero is called Aniruddha. How can I not LOVE the movie?


2. Raincoat (2004)


Reasons:

Simplicity. Simple can be lyrical and beautiful. This movie proves it.
Career best performance of Aishwarya Rai. Superb performances by Ajay Devgan and Annu Kapoor.
Debojyoti Mishra’s brilliant soundtrack and background score elevates the movie.
Abhik Mukhopadhyay’s cinematography and how he plays with the light and shadow.
Lastly, the sensitivity and maturity with which Rituparno Ghosh directs the movie.


3. Naach (2004)


Reasons:

Ram Gopal Varma.
His most personal film till date. It is dark, moody and abstract.
Add to that brilliant performances by Antara Mali and Abhishek Bachchan.
Outstanding cinematography by Kiran Reddy.
Enough said. Move on.


4. Matribhoomi (2005)


Reasons:

Manish Jha. Just for the balls to make this film.
Venu Gopal’s cinematography. The bleak and dark look shows how the society is loveless and depraved.
The cast. Tulip Joshi, Sudhir Pandey, Sushant Singh and Piyush Mishra gives splendid performances.


5. Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi (2005)


Reasons:

The sheer innovation of the story, script. The locales.
Bavra Mann, one of the finest songs of the decade.
A genius called Sudhir Mishra. To create one of the finest love stories of Hindi cinema.
To bring the drop dead gorgeous Chitrangada Singh on celluloid. Add to that Kay Kay and Shiny’s performance.
A special thanks to Pritish and Rangita Nandy for giving me my favorite movie of the decade.


6. Main, Meri Patni Aur Woh (2005)


Reasons:

For probably the best and most natural climax of the decade.
To showcase the talent that Rajpal Yadav has.
Add to that great performances by Rituparna Sengupta, Kay Kay, Varun Badola and Vinod Nagpal.
Chandan Arora. For bringing back the Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Basu Chatterji style of romance and humor.


7. My Brother Nikhil (2005)


Reasons:

The best and most sensitive film on gay relationships and HIV+ patients in India till date.
Le Chale, one of the best songs I have heard.
Sanjay Suri. For producing a movie like this and giving the best performance of his life.
For Juhi Chawla, Victor Banerjee, Lilette Dubey and PurabKohli, each giving heartbreaking performances.
Lastly, Onir for making this film with so much sensitivity.


8. Sehar (2005)


Reasons:

Arshad Warsi’s best performance till date.
For once, the characters speak with proper dialect (UP-ite Hindi here).
The supporting cast comprising of Pankaj Kapoor, Suhashini Mulay and Sushant Singh.
The train-borne climax and its treatment.
Kabeer Kaushik’s superb direction.


9. Socha Na Tha (2005)


Reasons:

For giving us Abhay Deol.
The best film of Imtiyaz Ali (which he keeps on remaking).
Great soundtrack.
Original, energetic and vibrant Ayesha Takia, before she tried to be the next Pam Anderson.


10. Manorama Six Feet Under (2007)


Reasons:

The best homage ever to Chinatown.
For bringing back Noir to Hindi cinema.
The dry humor throughout the film.
Powerhouse performances from Abhay Deol, Gul Panag, Raima Sen and Vinay Pathak.
For stunning cinematography which creates the claustrophobic atmosphere apt for the film.
Lastly, Navdeep Singh’s deft direction.


There are lots of films for the number 11 spot, which I mention as an additional recommendation. Got confused! So am just listing the films which are all tied up for the 11th spot.

1. Yahaan
2. Phir Milenge
3. Chhal
4. Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chahti Hoon
5. Dhoop

10 comments:

aash!sh said...

u forgot or u dint find it worth keeping .. i dnt know..bt Amu (dir: shonali bose) is one of the most underrated film of the decade..

DaMovieManiac said...

@Aashish

Well I didn't forget about Amu. Personally however I didn't like it that much to mention it in the list. But completely agree that it is a good film.

allVishal said...

Except for Naach & Socha Na Tha, I have never seen any of these fully, only catching snippets on TV (back when I still had cable TV that is). I do have access to a lot of them and I should get around to watching some.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers how great Chhal was!

N!kh!l said...

I completely agree with this list but i though feel that there might be more movies which faced the same fate as these tens hav had.
keeping this apart, i hav enjoyed all of these films and Raincoat,socha na tha are my all time romantic hits.

Anonymous said...

Great List.

What about "Paanch"... K K Menons tremendous debut, Anurag Kashyap's Dark, gripping first, Aadesh Shrivastav at his usual self ... that keeps you hooked always .... only weak point is Tejaswini Kolhapuri ... but the movie is so good... that you won't notice her.

Skylark said...

I watched 404 ...its awesome . though never heard of it from any of my friends .. I just got that from someone's hard drive and was spell bound

Skylark said...

I watched 404 ...its awesome . though never heard of it from any of my friends .. I just got that from someone's hard drive and was spell bound

Nishant said...

I love all the movies of Rajat Kapoor camp but this one has a lovely message along with humour, I am talking about 'fatso'. Lovely movie what a script and awesome execution of such an unique script.
Must Watch!!! U will love it :)

Nishant said...

I love all the movies of Rajat Kapoor camp but this one has a lovely message along with humour, I am talking about 'fatso'. Lovely movie what a script and awesome execution of such an unique script.
Must Watch!!! U will love it :)

Anjali said...

It was nice to see the list of these movies here I remembered my time when watched that movies. I would suggest you to see the list of movies that you will watch more than twice http://forummantra.org/ spending time to watched movies like this given in the list is your time worthy.